Two Imperial College academics have recently been awarded honours by their professional bodies, recognising outstanding achievement in their fields. Honorary Fellowship of the Institute of Physics (IoP) has been awarded to Professor Sir Peter Knight, an Emeritus Professor in Physics, while Professor Chris Toumazou has been awarded with the Faraday Medal. Sir Peter’s award has been made in recognition of his contributions to Physics throughout his career. His research has focused on quantum physics; specifically optics and information science. The Fellowship was also made in recognition of both his work with the IoP, and also a number of other responsibilities he has held.

These responsibilities include being Head of the Physics Department, Deputy Rector, and playing a key role in setting up a number of research centres within the College. Honorary Fellowship is the highest honour that the Institute of Physics can award to its members. Meanwhile, Prof. Toumazou’s Faraday Medal was awarded for this research into semiconductor DNA sequencing. This work is significant as it allows for the medical profession to eventually move away from treating illnesses in the traditional sense to targeted treatment and prevention. Additionally, there is the potential for semiconductor DNA sequencing to save costs, being much cheaper than conventional equipment. Prof. Toumazou, who works in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering department, has also been involved in the creation of a ‘while you wait’ DNA testing retail shop, where ‘customers’ can have their genes analysed in 30 minutes.

This has not been Prof. Toumazou’s first award in recent years. In 2013, he was presented with a Regius Professorship on the occasion of the Queen’s Jubilee. At 33, he became Imperial’s youngest professor. Prof. Toumazou was also named European Inventor of the Year in June, as reported by Felix at the end of that month.