Every 20 minutes, someone in the UK is told they have a blood cancer. That’s 70 people a day, 25,000 people a year.

Blood cancers can be life-threatening as they leave patients with few functioning blood cells. Although extensive chemotherapy may work, for many replacing these cells is the only way forward. Only about 30% of people in need can find a suitable donor within their family, which means that 70% rely on the kindness and generosity of strangers to save their lives.

Marrow, the student branch of the Anthony Nolan Trust, work hard to help this 70% by recruiting students here at Imperial onto the national bone marrow register. For every 100 people we recruit, 1 can go on to save the life of someone in need. All it takes to register is filling out a simple form and giving us a spit sample. If called forward, donation has never been easier: in more than 90% of cases, cells are collected in a similar way to how you might donate blood. Donors are simply hooked up to a machine which filters the blood, taking out the cells that are needed!

If you would like to register our next recruitment event is on Thursday the 30th of January from 10am until 6pm in the Union Dining Hall, Beit Quad!