Need something quick?

Beans on toast with a twist

The classic beans on toast is an awesome hangover cure. Not only do the beans contain high protein, it also releases energy slowly, so you feel better for the day! If you want to increase your appetite at the same time, why not add a can of tinned tomatoes? Tomatoes are high in Vitamin C so you have a higher chance of avoiding the good old Freshers’ Flu, while making the whole thing taste better.

Recipe: (if it is not obvious enough)

• 1 can of Baked Beans

• 1 can of chopped tomatoes

• Bread

Method:

• Toast the bread

• Heat up the tin of beans and mix in the tomatoes

• Serve when hot!

No morning lectures?

Try some fusion

Got a bit of bacon in the fridge but nothing else for your full fry up? Why not start your morning with a bit of Asian flavour? Noodles are one of the most popular foods in the world and it is so easy to cook, even if it is not the ones in the plastic pot. You can use fresh or dried noodles for this, both are available in both conventional and Chinese supermarkets, although the dried noodles will be able to sit in your cupboard for longer and possibly cheaper. If you do go round China Town, I would definitely recommend you stock up on some Chinese branded dried noodles – not only is it quick to make, so is a great alternative to the baked beans on toast, but also flavouring sachets often comes in the packet, so you even save on the soup stock!

Recipe

• 1 piece of smoked back bacon, chopped and trimmed

• 2 spring onions, white and green separated and finely sliced

• Some frozen peas

14 teaspoon paprika

• 2 teaspoon cornflour

• 200mL vegetable stock/ soup from sachet flavouring

• 150g (or how much you can eat) of noodles

• Splash of Worcestershire sauce

Method:

• Boil and drain the noodles if it is dried.

• In a small pan, fry the bacon for a few minutes, add the white parts of the spring onions, peas and paprika, then cook for 1 minute more. To get a bit of smooth texture, first mix the cornflour with a little stock to make a paste, then stir this into the pan with the rest of the stock.

• Add the noodles and a great splash of Worcestershire sauce to give it more flavour

• Leave it to simmer for a couple of minutes until thick and saucy, the scatter the green parts of spring onion on top to give it the looks!

Shall we spice it up a bit?

Not feeling good from Freshers’ Flu and you still want to be keen and attend your 9am lecture? The spices in this omelette will clear the airways and put you back into active mode! You might not know that apart from making non-alcoholic beer, ginger is also a well known nausea remedy that has been used for hundreds of years – and the protein in the eggs will help you get rid of alcohol in your bloodstream.

Recipe

• 2 eggs

• Half a red pepper, chopped into small cubes

• A small piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped

• Dried chilli, depends on your spice-ability.

• A clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped

Method:

• Whisk the eggs until smooth

• Pour the remaining ingredients into the egg mixture and mix well.

• Coat the pan with oil and heat up on the hob. Only when the oil is very hot, pour in the mixture and swirl it so that the whole pan is coated.

• Fry the mixture until it becomes a semi-solid omelette. You should be able to move the pan and the omelette stays one piece.

• Time to cook the other side. If you are feeling adventurous and awake, flip it on the pan! If not, then the best way to do it is to place a plate over the pan and turn them both over. Then you can slide the uncooked side back on the pan.

• Should take about another minute, then time to eat!