Imperial College Union has announced the results for the Summer Elections. This election is for some of the part time positions but also included the sabbatical position of Deputy President (Education), as the former winner will be taking an interruption of studies and so is no longer able to take up the post.

Next year’s Deputy President (Education) will be Natalie Kempston who beat Frank Machin. Natalie Kempston received 493 votes, which just tipped Frank Machin’s 419 votes. Felix contacted Natalie, who said: “Thank you to everyone who voted, I am delighted to be your next DPE and I can’t wait to get started… I will try my hardest to deliver on all my manifesto points, but most importantly I will put everything into improving your student experience and ensuring you all get the most out of your time here.” She spoke of her plans for next year, saying: “Over the summer I will be working hard to get things ready for next year’s Freshers, including organising bigger and better mums and dads events, and ensuring next year’s reps receive the best possible training.” She also mentioned Postgraduates as a top priority: “One of the major things I plan to do next year is restructure the PG rep system, and I have already started planning how we can unify PG reps and get more PGs involved in our Union.” She said she is also keen to see the students in Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine. She is planning a trip to Singapore, saying, “they are students of Imperial College and it is always beneficial to strengthen international ties.” She ended with: “Good luck to those of you who still have exams/projects due, hope you all have a great summer and I’ll see you next year!”

In other positions, Richard Bennett will be next year’s Council Chair. He beat off competition from three other candidates. The race was very tight, with it only coming down to six votes in the last round of voting. Richard Bennett secured 240 votes in the final round, compared to Stephen Ball’s 234. In fact, Stephen Ball had more votes transferred to him in the second, third, and fourth rounds. However, Richard Bennett’s strong first round performance meant that he eventually won.

In other positions, former Union President candidate Christopher Kaye won the position of Campaigns Officer. Only one candidate not in the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) lost to RON,. This was Lauren Ratcliffe, who did not put a manifesto online, and she had 246 votes to RON’s 397. Therefore the election will have to be re-run.

The GSU (formerly GSA) currently have elected some of their positions. RON won over Angus Morrison. So nobody was elected as next year’s GSU President. This means that the election will need to be re-run. Only two positions were contested by more than one candidate. Most of the GSU positions will be re-run, as they were last year, because nobody put themselves forward for them.

Turnout for the Summer Elections was considerably lower than the Big Elections: 7.21% of the student body voted (which is 1154 voters). The turnout for the GSU elections was also very low, with it barely reaching 200 voters.

Election winners in full:

DPE: Natalie Kempston

Council Chair: Richard Bennett

Ethics & Environmental Officer: Max Heaver

International Officer: Jialin Li

Disabilities Officer: Moeko Maiguma-Wilson

LGBT Officer: RON

Gender Equality Officer: Sarah Sturrock

Interfaith Officer: Tagore Nakornchai

BME (Black, Ethnic, Minority) Officer: Mohammed Riyaz

Campaigns Officer: Christopher Kaye

GSU Positions:

Graduate Students’ Union President: RON

Graduate Students’ Union Deputy President (Operations): Ollie Dean

Graduate Students’ Union Deputy President (Representation): RON

Graduate Students’ Union Treasurer: RON

Graduate Students’ Union Secretary: RON

Graduate Students’ Union Events Officer: RON

Graduate Students’ Union Sports and Activities Officer: RON

Graduate Students’ Union Marketing and Publicity Officer: Marily Nika

Graduate Students’ Union RAG Officer: RON

Graduate Students’ Union Academic and Welfare Officer (Engineering): Mohammad Ahmadzadeh

Graduate Students’ Union Academic and Welfare Officer (Physical Sciences): RON

Graduate Students’ Union Academic and Welfare Officer (Life Sciences): RON

Graduate Students’ Union Academic and Welfare Officer (Medicine): RON

Graduate Students’ Union Academic and Welfare Officer (Business): RON

Full results are also available online.