There I was thinking that I would have a nice, relaxing end of term. I thought that it was the summer term and so it would be chill, and, besides, I’ve done this weekly slog so many times that I should be used to it by now. I was very mistaken. This is a bigger mistake than that time Justin Bieber’s mum said to Justin Bieber’s dad “I’m feeling sexy tonight, baby”. That might not have happened, but you get the drift. I write this, as you can definitely tell from the writing style, from under my desk at the very last minute. Like with so many things, you think the last time will be the last time, but it usually isn’t. So, here goes nothing. Remember these are not as well formed as they could be, and the perennial disclaimer about some considerations deleted due to space requirements.

Access to education

It’s fairly safe to say that everyone thinks that no matter what background you come from you should be allowed to go to university. If you’re clever and willing to learn, there should be nothing in your way. Unfortunately, there are many things in people’s ways. Imperial, universities, and the Outreach Department, sadly, can’t fix all of them alone. I know first hand that Outreach do work hard and do some great work. But they have so much to fight against. This is really an area where no one person or group can truly be blamed. You could, and people probably do, argue until you’re all blue in the face (and have stereotypical movie-style sexual tension) about where blame should be attributed. Here’s an example: it’s the universities’ fault! Is it? What about the schools that teach the students for the majority of the time. Ah! I have it! It’s those darn schools. They’re not engaging enough in their lessons. So simple. Right? The schools? So it’s their fault that behaviour is bad and people don’t listen to teachers or do their homework? Besides, the kids still spend most of their time at home. The parents then? Duh it’s all their fault. Oh really? How about when you have a lot of other pressures on you and are trying your best but your child is influenced by their peers. The kids then? Well, they are just, you know, children. I’m 23 and still immature, so what do you expect them to be like? Plus there are bigger problems and pressures in the world that causes them to belike that. I could go on, but I think you get the point. It’s everyone’s fault in some way. Besides, when has attributing blame ever solved a problem? If there is one person to blame, then it may help identify a solution. However, in a multi faceted problem, it is often just a way of slowing everything down. The schools, universities, and government must work together to solve this. Parents need to be brought in on this too.

A problem often identified by teachers and classroom assistants is behaviour, which often hinders people excelling and learning as teachers are essentially crowd controllers not knowledge imparters. Solving this is really trickyand a start is teachers knowing how to deal with unruly pupils. I believe all people deserve a chance to shine and should be helped. If they are holding themselves and others back, then they need to be shown, in terms they can understand, what a good education can bring them, and why it’s better to work hard. I guess at school it’s just not cool to be the good pupil is it – how many rogueishly handsome movie heroes are not trouble-makers? Solving that would mean a massive shift in societal perceptions, which probably won’t happen.

Seeing the light

Another catering outlet. Really? I hope this is an ellaborate end of year troll by College. If I were anyone working in any space around College I would be watching my back. They seem to ruthlessly just rip something away from you saying “we’re taking our ball back now”.