Three Imperial scientists have been granted Fellowship of the Royal Society. Professor the Lord Ara Darzi of Denham, Professor Joanna Haigh, and Professor Sir Steve Bloom were all recognised for their “contributions to science, both in fundamental research resulting in greater understanding, and also in leading and directing scientific and technological progress in industry and research establishments”. Lord Darzi holds a host of positions with the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and at Imperial. He said that he was “honoured and delighted” by the appointment, and said that it was “humbling to be amongst a group of such distinguished peers”. He thanked his colleagues for their help and support.

Professor Sir Steve Bloom is the Head of Division for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, in the Department of Medicine and Chief of Service for Endocrinology and Pathology in the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. He said: “It is a very pleasing honour for the entire team who have worked together over many years.” He added that it will spur him on to work as there is much to still be done, saying: “The world pandemic of obesity causes great suffering,”

From left to right: Professor Sir Steve Bloom, Lord Darzi, Professor Joanna Haigh

From left to right: Professor Sir Steve Bloom, Lord Darzi, Professor Joanna Haigh Credit: Imperial College London

Professor Haigh, who is the Head of the Department of Physics and the President of the Royal Meteorological Society, is mainly involved in researching climate science.

The Royal Society, which was founded in the 1600s, is a self-governing Fellowship of many world class scientists. Officially founded on 28 November 1660 the Society it was granted a Royal Charter by King Charles II. Notable former Presidents include Sir Isaac Newton, Sir Humphry Davy, and Sir Ernest Rutherford, to name a few.