The medical library at St Mary’s has been reopened following six months of renovation works on the building and facilities.

The library is to be renamed the Fleming Library (after Sir Alexander Fleming).

The renovation, which was first planned in 1999, cost a total of £3 million. Half of this funding was from the St Mary’s Development Trust.

Felix contacted Emeritus Professor Averil Mansfield CBE who is Chair of the St Mary’s Development Trust and was involved in the work. She said: “The Library on the St Mary’s site has always been a favourite with students despite its somewhat tired look. Many former students will remember it both as a place for study and to attend some wonderful social events. Thanks to a major refurbishment funded by The St Marys Development Trust and by Imperial College it is now a joy to behold and is fit for the 21st Century. It certainly invites study and there is provision both on the ground floor and in the transformed gallery with modern facilities, superb lighting and comfortable furniture. There is an elegant staircase which allows easy access to the gallery. I hope it will be used and enjoyed by many present and future students and I also hope that alumni will make a point of coming to see the transformation which has sensitively retained all the oak and other features while becoming thoroughly modern. Deborah Shorley who was the Librarian in Imperial deserves a special mention for her foresight and her perseverance.”

Staff, students, doctors, medical professionalsand the funders celebrated the reopening of the Fleming Library earlier this month.

The refurbishment appears to be a greatly needed boost to the library, which was last redone in 1982. The upgrades include a redecoration, new staircases, improved heating, lighting, Wifi, more computers, a study space and a training room.

The library – designed by Sir Edwin Cooper who designed many other buildings including the NatWest building on 1 Princes Street – was originally opened in 1933. The building was used for student activities up until 1982. It also played host to Gilbert & Sullivan productions over Christmas, one of which was attended by Her Majesty The Queen and Princess Margaret in 1945.

So, next year’s stressful all nighters will be in a more modern setting.