Ananya Das: You have a fantastic entrepreneurial career, have there been moments when you needed ‘A Kick in the Pants’ similar to in Stop Talking, Start Doing? If so, who or what did you turn to for a bit of encouragement or motivation?

Sháá Wasmund: Being constantly motivated to work hard is one of the main reasons I’ve managed to act on my ideas and launch so many businesses. I managed to keep myself motivated by surrounding myself with inspirational and successful people. Ex Minister for Trade and Chairman of Dyson Sir Richard Needham has been my mentor for years and founder of the MOBO Awards Kanya King is a close friend of mine. These people don’t achieve phenomenal success by sitting around. There enthusiasm and determination to succeed is infectious and definitely rubbed off on me.

AD: You have been voted as one of the UK’s Most Connected Women by the Institute of Directors – have you come across much competition or negativity from male colleagues in business?

SW: I’ve not really come across any extra competition from male entrepreneurs than female ones. My view is that collaboration is the key to success. If I help someone out then if I need a favour in the future they will be more inclined to help me. I think by genuinely trying to help anyone I can, I’ve managed to avoid competition.

AD: A lot of well educated young graduates are finding it increasingly difficult to find jobs, what advice would you give them to stand out in the businessworld?

SW: Have they thought about starting their ownbusiness? These days you can set up a website and start a business from your front room, all you need is an internet connection. There’s a brilliant support network out their for young entrepreneurs now too, the web provides so much advice and offers more ways to get in touch with people than ever before. So you could argue it’s easier to access customers and find yourself a mentor. There seems to be so much doom and gloom about the recession, but I think young people should take a step back and try to look at this as a wonderful opportunity.

AD: Some graduates are deciding to set up their own businesses. Are there any top tips you could give for expanding small businesses?

SW: Collaborate, work hard and market your hind legs off. To grow your business you need to make sure people know about it. It’s easier and cheaper than ever to do this. Look at the tools at your disposable, one example being social media – it gives you a direct line to thousands of customers for free.

AD: How much of an emphasis would you put on ‘networking’ and ‘knowing the right people’?

SW: Getting yourself out there and meeting people is a huge part of growing a business. You need to network and hear ideas from other people. Locking yourself in a room by yourself means when you get stuck you have nowhere to turn. Getting out, meeting other entrepreneurs who’ve been through the problem you are going through means they can show you how to solve it. It also helps you to come up with new ideas yourself. If you’re looking to launch and grow a business then I’d say get out and network as MUCH as you can.

AD: Many thanks for your time!