The winners of Imperial College Union’s first Student Academic Choice Awards have been announced at a ceremony on Tuesday 21 May. Over 150 people attended the event.

The eight winners (see box at the end of the article) were picked from over 400 entries that the Union received. Best Teaching for Undergraduates received 244 submissions from students. The winner, Dr Alistair Donaldson from the Department of Computing, said “I’ve been constantly impressed by how bright, enthusiastic, questioning and hard working the undergraduate students are”. He said that the award “really means a lot” because it is coming from students and that he is “hugely honoured” to be praised for his lecturing ability.

Anna Hikel from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering echoed the sentiments from Dr Donaldson, saying, “I am pleased that the students recognise my dedication to them”. She went on to say that she “was thrilled to receive the news that I had won the award”.

At the event, Paul Beaumont, Union President, said: “The SACAs is our way of thanking all of the nominees and winners for their hard work and recognising the positive impact that they have on the student experience.”

Each of the winners received a trophy, and all finalists were presented with a certificate.

Full List of winners

Best Teaching for Undergraduates

Dr Alastair Donaldson, Computing

Best Innovation

Dr Jane Saffell, Department of Medicine

Best Graduate Teaching Assistant

Alan Zucconi, Computing

Best Teaching for Postgraduates

Professor Andrew Purvis, Division of Ecology and Evolution

Best Tutoring

Dr Sohag Saleh, Medicine

Best Feedback

Dr Rebecca Bell, Earth Science & Engineering

Best Support Staff

Anna Hikel, Civil & Environmental Engineering

Best Supervision

Dr Rafael Palacios Nieto, Aeronautics