Imperial College London have announced the makeup of the committee and the areas of the allegations of animal cruelty that they will be investigating. The committee, lead by Professor Steve Brown, will investigate and assess the culture and approach to animal care and welfare at College. The Home Office are also investigating specific allegations, which the College say they are “working closely” with them.

The committee will provide a report to the College “in three to four months” time after its investigation. The report will say their findings and any recommendations for improvement. It will “elaborating on any areas where practice falls short of standards considered to be at the forefront of animal research and animal welfare standards in the UK”. The committee will investigate all practices in animal research, including: management, operational procedures, reporting structures, supervision, training and ethics. This will be done by conducting interviews and visiting the labs. College says that the investigation will take into account “Imperial College’s consideration of the incidents alleged by BUAV”.

Professor Brown, Director of the Medical Research Council’s Mammalian Genetics Unit at Harwell, was approached in April to lead an investigation after the BUAV accused College of animal abuse. College have stressed multiple times that Professor Brown is “independent”. The BUAV however contest this, saying: “a well-known and strong supporter of animal research, heading the Medical Research Council (MRC) unit which manipulates mice to predispose them to develop all manner of diseases, but the MRC actually funds animal research at the Imperial College. This is hardly an independent inquiry.” Michelle Thew, Chief Executive of the BUAV said, “The public are likely to see Imperial’s inquiry into the animal suffering and poor practices uncovered by our investigation as a whitewash. This investigation raises significant and far reaching questions about animal research in the UK. We urge the Government to set up a fully independent inquiry as a matter of urgency. The public will expect no less.”

Morrissey, the former lead singer for The Smiths, has joined the calls for an independent inquiry into the allegations of animal abuse at Imperial College London. Morissey, who has for a long time been very outspoken about animal welfare, joins former Imperial student and Queen guitarist Brian May. May said that he was “shocked and saddened” by the allegations and “ashamed that it could have taken place in the university of my own training”.

The BUAV is currently urging the UK Government to take away the licence that they have for animal research and to set up an inquiry into the allegations that is “wholly independent of the Home Office”. Michelle Thew, Chief Executive of the BUAV, stated: “We welcome the support from Morrissey on this important issue. Our investigation at Imperial College London raises significant and far reaching questions about animal research in the UK and it is crucial that a fully independent inquiry is carried out.”

The rest of the committee will consist of:

Professor Paul Flecknell, Newcastle University, who is responsible for the overall management of Newcastle University’s research animal facilities

Mr Neil Yates, Director of the Biosupport Unit, University of Nottingham

Professor Ian Jackson, Head of Medical and Developmental Genetics, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh

Dr Vicky Robinson, Chief Executive, National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research

Dr Maggie Leggett, Head of Public Engagement, Bristol University.

Editorial