Dare I say it, but this is the penultimate issue of Felix this term – which means only one thing: exam season is looming. Don’t worry, I’m not saying you need to start revising just yet, the “holidays” (AKA five weeks of cramming) are still a couple of weeks away. Just keep in mind that however hard you revise, it doesn’t need to be all doom and gloom, because there’s always a great meal to look forward to. Thankfully, lunch and dinner create some of those rare sought-after revision breaks from work we students are so grateful for – so it’s really important to make the most of them.

You’re less likely to be as active as you normally are during revision (I’d still advise you to leave the house on a daily basis), so eating well is really important. As you’ll be going out late less, you’ll be spending a lot less, but don’t save it – money’s there to be spent, right? During revision I splash out on really good quality food. It’s feel-good and it may even improve my concentration. Uh huh, I’m talking about buying grapes, blueberries and mangos. Yeah, mangos. I’m happy to buy into the superfood placebo malarkey if it keeps me concentrated.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so stick to something that will keep you going, and even better if it’s really quick to microwave. Porridge always gets me through to lunch without any distracting mid-morning grumbles. I love fruits like bananas and berries in my porridge. To sweeten add honey or muscovado sugar. For breakfast, buy some freshly squeezed orange juice, or make it yourself – the vitamin C is good for your immune system and helps ward off those unfriendly, unwanted revision colds. Alternatively, try one of Josie’s or Alex’s smoothies. Why not treat yourself, and go out for breakfast? It’s a great way to start the day.

Okay, so snacking can have an adverse effect on your revision, and I’m not advocating procrastination, but everyone needs a little revision break to keep themselves focused. My top five healthy (coughs procrastination) snacks are: soft dried apricots, pumpkin seeds, pralines, blueberries and red grapes. I’m told that sugar snap peas are also great to nibble on. If you want a bigger snack, carrots and hummus or olives can do the trick. They’re a favourite of mine, but they can be pretty messy. For something sweet or savoury, get some popcorn. We’re going through a popcorn era at the moment: you can get anything from sweet chilli to sticky toffee pudding flavour – I like the Tyrrells ones best. For a longer revision break, why not make your own?

If you feel like splashing out, you could get some Graze boxes delivered to your house. They’re the perfect snack size to take out if you’re popping out to the Library or having a revision break. They’re not the most economical of buys, but they regularly do deals so that your first box is free and your second is half price.

For a treat get some chocolate/ yoghurt covered nuts/dried fruit. They’re great for a cheeky snack and you can almost believe that they’re good for you. Try and resist constantly eating Mini Eggs, although they’ll give you a sugar high the sugar low won’t help you focus. Instead of devouring a whole bag of freshly baked raisin and oat Sainsbury’s biscuits, share them with your housemates. It gives you an excuse to take a break and it tastes good too.