In an email sent to members on March 20th, Sir Richard Sykes, Chairman of the Royal Institution, announced the receipt of an anonymous £4.4 million pound donation, clearing debts which have lead to the scientific body’s Central London home being placed on the market. Financial difficulties were initially met after a multi-million pound refurbishment of the premesies failed to return on the investment.

Whilst Sir Richard, himself a former Rector of Imperial College, stressed that this is not the end of the Institution’s financial issues, he has made clear that the Institution wishes to remain at Albermarle Street, with a committee tasked to develop a “compelling new vision for the Ri based at its Albermarle Street home”. The members of this committee include Lord Robert Winston, alongside Prof. Brian Cox, Prof Jim Al Khalili (who all have produced TV programmes on science), and a number of other academics who have presented the Christmas Lectures in the past.

The decision to place the Royal Institution’s building on the market has faced much criticism, with support from many world renound scientists including Sir Harry Kroto. A petition on the Government’s ePetitions website garnered nearly 2,500 signatures (though insufficient to be debated in the House of Commons).