The halls saga continues, with Garden Hall, and the halls in Evelyn Gardens’ futures still unclear. As well as this there is the possibility of new halls being built in North Acton. Jeff Magee, Principle of the Faculty of Engineering, discussed the halls in a meeting of student reps. Discussing Evelyn Gardens, he said to the students: “The proposition there is to convince the College to refurbish those halls for the 33 years, knowing at the end of it that you’ll lose that money,” which he stated was estimated at 10 million pounds. He went on to say that the main question being discussed by those at the top of College was whether or not this was a good use of the money, stating that “in my view it probably is”. During the meeting he was questioned by many students. He said that “nobody is trying to pull it fast on anybody here. Property people have been looking for five years for affordable accommodation close to College”. He said that everywhere in five miles was looked at in great detail. He mentioned that land in London is very expensive, particularly in South Kensington. Regarding the price of accommodation in North Acton he said that, while the price may be arguable, it is actually affordable compared to other options available.

While discussing the temporary accommodation Paragon, Magee said of North Acton: “The proposition there was we can purchase it and if wedidn’t need it we can sell it. It is, let’s face it, plonked in the middle of the roundabout… not a particularly wonderful place.”

At the next Management Board meeting on the 20th March, they will discuss halls, including Acton and Garden and Evelyn Gardens. College say that the answers to students’ questions, which were emailed from Felix on Friday 8 March, will not be answered until after the meeting. College have said that they will be in a position to answer questions then after the meeting.

Paul Beaumont, Union President, asked Sir Keith O’Nions, President & Rector of Imperial College London, if he could attend the meeting, to give the student viewpoint. A College spokesperson said that, at the time of going to print, they have not heard back about Beaumont being allowed to sit in the meeting.

While all this is going on, the petition to save Garden Hall, which was started by students, has garnered over 1,100 supporters. This petition has also had multiple comments showing support for the Hall and dismay at the idea of closure. There has also been a YouTube video made.

The Big Elections, and specifically the Sabbatical Elections, has kept the subject of halls and the campaign against North Acton relevant, with some candidates explicitly mentioning it while campaigning.

Editorial