It’s easy to see why pasta is touted as reliable student grub. It’s relatively cheap, almost foolproof (RTFI, people – we’re Imperialites!) and doesn’t take ages. It’s flexible – you can make it a simple bolognese affair, or slap on a complex sauce and bake it in some mythical way passed down to you from a former mafiosi. Leftovers keep well, so long as you don’t leave them in some black hole in the back of your fridge. And like Elizabeth says, it’s also one of the quickest healthy meals you can prepare so long as you follow a few simple rules (dieters need not toss their heads in disgust. No, really.)

First up, definitely forget your tinned sauces – some amazing pasta accompaniments can be whipped up in the same time it takes to boil the pasta itself. You don’t need me to tell you about the nasties in pre-made sauces; your wallet will thank you for making your own from scratch. Best of all, you get to adjust your own seasoning to suit – try modding the basic sauce recipe below for starters.

Watch the time of the day. Digesting carbs can sometimes send you into a spot of drowsiness, which explains the famed mid-afternoon slump. That’s not a big problem if you’re winding down in the evening; but for lunch I like to balance thepasta portion out with more protein (which keeps you alert and full) and veg. It’s easily done in a pasta stir-fry, which is not unlike Chinese fried rice – just with pasta instead! That way, you can control the amount of pasta that goes in with the rest of the ingredients.

Think colourful. I’m a sucker for the creamy chicken and bacon pasta bake that my housemate makes (hey Phil!), but my favourite feel-good penne stir-fry includes a bigger variety of ingredients. Mushrooms, peppers, carrot, peas… the colour from theveg doesn’t just mean nutrition, it looks more enticing!

Finally, live a little. All things in moderation is the best mantra to go by, so a little pasta won’t hurt you. Besides, eating pasta triggers a nice dose of feel-good serotonin so it’s a great dietary pick-me-up. If you’re on a diet (really?), either decrease the carb portion, or switch out to wholegrain pasta – it keeps you fuller for longer so you may not need as much, and it’s healthier. See – you really CAN have your cake (I mean, pasta) and eat it too. Viva la pasta!

Refreshing Tomato and Basil (Base) Sauce

Sweat some onion and garlic in oil, then bung in pure passata/chopped tomatoes (less than half a tin – the Italians use them too) and bring to the boil. Reduce for 5+ mins if making a 1-person portion – if making a bigger batch ahead of time, you’ll need longer. Season with salt/pepper/sugar and some vinegar to taste, then add basil and Basilio’s your uncle. Add chilli flakes for arrabiata, stir in mascarpone for stuff that rivals the Sainsbury’s tubs, use other herbs… tweak it as you will.