1000 runners, miles of mud and one epic after party can only mean one thing, BUCS Cross Country 2013!

This year saw the biggest team ever (44!) from Imperial travel to Leeds for what is the highlight of the Cross Country calendar. Imperial College achieved their strongest team finish in the British University Cross Country Championships in recent memory with the Men’s A Team producing an incredible 6th place finish in the long 10km race at Bodington Hall Playing Fields, Leeds University.

Eoghan J Totten (34:41) led the team home with a 20th place finish over the 10km course, just over a minute short of a medal (Stephen Scullion, St. Mary’s London, 33:32). He was strongly supported by a headstrong team who battled ferociously through the mud-laden course to produce finishes all within the top fifty. The American, Clinton ‘Abs’ Cahall produced a massive 36th place finish (35:23). Clinton had to realign his concept of cross country to one more attuned to the English weather, coping exceptionally with the treacherous underfoot conditions and finishing strongly. Christopher Bannon successfully transferred his prowess on the track to the mud bath, producing a 47th place finish (35:41) with Faron Hesse giving chase in 49th (35:43), moving strongly through the field in the closing lap. Sam O’Neill competing in his 6th and final BUCS competition, was the 5th Imperial College man home (with four to score), produced a solid run in 168th place. First year Chris Thomas had an interesting race after being ill the previous week it appears he took 3 hours to complete the course but who really knows what happened here? We look forward to seeing him progress in future years. The team result was a tremendous achievement (topping Oxford) given four of the top five team positions were occupied by Universities receiving significant funding for sport. The top three (St. Mary’s London, Birmingham & Loughborough) receive funding from London Marathon and UK Athletics and are established endurance running institutions. For Imperial College to be in tow shows that it is possible to balance sporting and academic prowess.

Next up was the Women’s race on what was now a tumultuous, freshly-churned course. Melissa Newton-Mora led the Imperial College team home in 169th position with Sophie Kirk in 190th position and Kimberley ‘very possible’ Mason in 214th place. All credit must go to Sophie for organising transport, accommodation (in the swish Jurys Inn!) and general co-ordination. However, the greatest achievement was the size of the Women’s team from Imperial College; with all 12 completing the gruelling course making this double previous years!

There were a significant number of competitors from the Cross Country club in the Men’s B race. The affectionately named ’Banter’ B race saw over 400 runners take on the now shin high mud slog, and with experienced club members Reuben Bogg (98th), James ‘Captain’ Ellis (102nd), Ben Toomer (127th) and Milan Misak taking the lead for the club, all 24 of the team finished.

Liam ‘Car park attendant’ Smith and Jean Claude Besse were the first freshmen to finish, special congratulations to Jean Claude who had never seen so much mud during his triathlon career so far! Completing the second team was Matt Douthwaite who made an incredible recovery from a squash ‘injury’ finishing just behind Chris ‘Zoolander’ Charles. Many of the B team were first timers so to see them all complete the course in respectable times was a great feat. Despite the mud and cold smiles were evident all round particularly from Adrian ‘Too Keen’ Grutter who wore a grin throughout so it can’t have been that bad.

Following the race, there was much celebration not only for the 6th position but also celebrating the clubs successes thus far. This has been one of the best years in the clubs history with 100 members and participation going through the roof. Anticipation for the infamous after party was high at Captains’ drinks, and with the freshers’ challenges completed it was time for curry! At Leeds University Union we joined hundreds of other runners for a celebration complete with foam. Armed with our bandannas we took to the floor pulling moves that haven’t been seen since last year. We certainly left our mark at Leeds Union, I would say more but what happens in Leeds stays in Leeds (or at least on Facebook). After 6 hours of partying it was time to head back and get what sleep we could for the long journey back down south.

First year Isabel Holding summed up her experiences of the weekend: “As a fresher it was a daunting thought to sign up for the XC weekend trip to Leeds. I was prepared to endure the physical challenge of running 6.5km, as well as the freshman humiliation, which was probably my greater worry.

Looking back this presentiment seems baseless and I am grateful that the worst of it involved picking an item of fruit or veg, giving it a face and carrying it around with us for the entirety of the weekend; ensuring a dapper look at all times.

Other than this, my experiences at BUCS involved: meeting people, mud, curry, more mud, foam, and even more mud, (plus some running as well). Overall, brilliant weekend!!

Thank you to the whole team for making the weekend so enjoyable, and with Hyde Park Relays this weekend no doubt the fun shall continue. Hyde Park Relays is the place to be this Saturday, whether you are running, organising or supporting, so come on down!