Some January we’ve had this year, huh? College and tests right after Christmas, Britain’s coldest winter in 100 months (complete with that massive bout of dandruff from heaven), and the weather boffins are saying February won’t be much better. Not to worry, though: at times like these, you can always count on a lovely, steaming mug of hot chocolate to make you nice and toasty (well, other than a warm cuddle from thatspecial someone). Nope, not cocoa, not that mug of Nesquick, Swiss Miss, Milo or whatever you call it. There’s a time and place for that stuff, but today, we’re going to discuss real hot chocolate – the stuff that’s thick, rich and unctuous, the drink that warms you to your toes.

With that in mind, I decided to seek out the best hot chocolates around Imperial. Make no mistake – this is no easy task. I had to sieve through a considerable number of insipid, weak cups masquerading as hot chocolate (some with ridiculous prices to boot, no less). Sure, one can make do with a sachet of Cadbury’s stirred into boiling water or a cuppa from JCR, just as one can survive with nothing but Sainsbury’s basics, but it’s not going to impress that cutie from across the hall – and you gotta live a little, eh? Still, there’s a lot of hot chocolate out there, and only so much a student can afford. Being the selfless and altruistic person that I am, I shall aid you lot by sharing the results of my labours. So here’s what you can find around school…

Chains – Paul, Caffé Nero, Starbucks

Lowest on the rung are the eponymous coffee and bread chains, Starbucks, Paul and Caffé Nero. Right off the bat, forget about Starbucks – there are far better ways to waste ~ £3 than a cup of overly sweet brown-tinged water which barely resembles chocolate. Caffé Nero and Paul are far better – while Caffé Nero does have a ‘normal’ version, both serve a thick, European cup of hot chocolate. However, I found Paul’s to be rich, intense and very chocolate-y, whereas Caffé Nero’s just seemed very sweet and had a strong taste of cornstarch. It’s quite a bit to pay for a drink, but for what you get, it’s worth it.

Special Chains – Gail’s Artisan Bakery, Oddono’s, Pain au Quotiden, Ottolenghis

Next on the list come these places which are still chains, but are far posher by nature. Surprisingly, though, the hot chocolate here isn’t much to shout about. For all their exquisite looking breads and decadent pastries, Gail’s artisan bakery and Pain au Quotiden serve up rather lackadaisical mugs. Pain’s seemed very sweet and runny but lacking in chocolate flavour, while Gail’s initially encouraging use of packet Valhrona hot chocolate was ruined by an inept use of the steam wand and an easy hand with the milk. Oddono’s, one of the places many netizens recommend for good hot chocolate, proved to be good - but the best still goes to Ottolenghi’s, the super-posh café with a stellar reputation that is well deserved. The steaming mug delivers an intense hit of hot chocolate which isn’t too sweet or too thick, and is extremely satisfying. Thing is, the location may be a bit of a trek for most.

Chocolatiers – Rococo Chocolate, Hotel Chocolat, Melt, Cocomaya

Last comes the cream of the crop – places which exude luxury and class and make you feel intimidated from simply staring through their windows. Feel free to stride in with gumption, though – prices for something like hot chocolate at these chocolatiers don’t really differ that much from other places. Still, there’s a great deal of variation between cups. Rococo serves a thick shot of chocolate that’s more fondue-like in taste and consistency, and Melt’s dark hot chocolate comes from a proprietary blend of in-store chocolate with a distinctive taste that can only be described as ‘interesting’. For the thrill-seekers, maybe; but the rest of us who want our money’s worth would be better off going to Hotel Chocolat. Despite its upmarket appearance, a mug to go costs a mere £2.50 (paltry, really, in comparison) and comes in three flavours, all of which are intense, strong and delightful. Cocomaya’s on the other hand was perfectly adequate, but just a little too thin and too expensive for its size.

Conclusion? Paul for that quick option, or if one is truly craving for some decent chocolate, head to High Street Kensington’s Hotel Chocolat for a mug. Even better, their Liquid Chocolat is available in stores so that any desperate student can whip up their own mug in the comforts of their hall kitchen – and you can add as many marshmallows (or other extras) as you want!