Yes, Aperitivo all’ Italiana. The first official event of the newly founded Italian Society at Imperial! Of course, it was food related and that is why I was very excited about it. It took place at a traditional Italian bar called Da Lisa at Gloucester road and it was indeed very Italian and also a heaven for people who appreciate good food. If a room full of typical Italian desserts, pastries, biscuits and of course the smell of that perfect espresso cannot be called heaven, then what can?

The lucky people who attended the event, had the chance to experience the Italian culture through food and I don’t think anyone could complain. The “cannoli siciliani”, which is basically fried dough filled with a sweet cream seemed absolutely divine. You can see them in the photo below and be jealous. Short crust pastry called “crostatine” and a special kind of biscuit called “ciambelline” were also available. All of these were perfectly combined with wine from South Italy which was very rich and fruity. The famous Spritz was also offered to the guests and if you have never tried it before it is highly recommended that you do. It is basically a cocktail served as aperitif and contains sparkling wine, orange liqueur and soda and it definitely is very appetizing. Apart from the food and the drinks, everybody seemed to be having a good time.

All in all, a great event that celebrated Italian cuisine and the importance of people getting together and being social. Well done Italian Society!