In 1956 a boy named Lewis Allen Reed was marched into a New York county psychiatric hospital by his parents and given electric shock therapy to ‘cure’ his bisexual instincts. The effect this had on his future career is debatable, however speaking in 1996 Reed recalled:

“They put the thing down your throat so you don’t swallow your tongue, and they put electrodes on your head. That’s what was recommended in Rockland State Hospital to discourage homosexual feelings. The effect is that you lose your memory and become a vegetable.”

In the early 1960s, whilst studying at Syracuse University, Reed immersed himself in experimental free jazz and doo-wop of the 1950s. He would use these influences to devise guitar techniques that would underpin his playing style for decades. In 1964 Reed caught the attention of some industry bigwigs by recording a song parodying dance music at the time, and playing it on a guitar with all strings tuned to the same note. Through this he was introduced to John Cale who would found The Velvet Underground with him. 1967 saw the Velvet Underground release their most famous record: The Velvet Underground and Nico, but by 1968 the band had begun to crumble. Frustrated at the lack of success they were receiving (The Velvet Underground and Nico reached 171 in the billboard chart) and due to differences over the direction of the band, Cale left. Shortly afterwards Reed followed suit and began pursuing a solo career. Reed’s 1972 record, Transformer, was the peak of his commercial success. Thanks partly to working with David Bowie, his music was exposed to a whole new audience that loved the distortion-laden guitar and the gritty, almost unmusical lyrics. Reed’s work was many times hailed as the pre-curser to punk, however the tenderness that he portrayed in his vocals set him far apart from anything that filled the grimy, sweat-drenched bars of London and New York over the following decade. Drugs and alcohol were major themes throughout much of his life, with the album Berlin attesting to that. Of his drug-taking he once said:

“I take drugs just because, in the 20th century, in a technological age living in the city, there are certain drugs you have to take just to keep yourself normal like a caveman, just to bring yourself up or down.”

He eventually beat his demons with drugs, replacing them with T’ai Chi. However, they eventually caught up with him when earlier this year his health rapidly deteriorated, forcing him into a liver transplant operation. Following the op he proclaimed to be stronger than ever. Unfortunately this did not last and Reed passed away on 27th October. Fifty seven years after Reed underwent shock treatment, New York City and attitudes towards sexuality have changed markedly. Lou Reed could claim to have played a part in both, however the effect he had on his many fans is what will live on fondly in people all over the world.