Someone told me today that you shouldn’t write reviews of your own events. I obviously didn’t listen to their advice; after all, who can know better what went down at the RCSU events than people within the RCSU?! My sincerest apologies to the other constituent unions who are obviously lagging behind.

Freshers Fair:

Three words. Wheel of Fortune. You know how Nando’s always has a prize wheel at the freshers’ fairs? Well, this year they weren’t the only one as we hired in a massive plasma screen and ran our own giant wheel of fortune. Prizes included Autumn Ball tickets, drink tokens, an 8GB RCSU USB stick, pint glasses, shot glasses, mugs, RCSU lapel badges and RCSU Scarves. Given the crowd at our table throughout the day, it’s fair to say the gimmick was more than successful, especially when the CGCU - who were opposite us - got so mad at their empty stand they had to keep shouting to attract people. To top that miserable day off for them, we also nicked the Spanner and Bolt! We also had tons of RCSU sweets for the masses alongside lanyards, notepads and the highlight of them all, RCSU condom cases. These double up as a key ring and are a discreet way of making sure you are always prepared. We were very happy to see so many eager faces on the day and are looking forward to seeing you all again in this coming year.

RCSU Made in Chelsea Pub Crawl:

We started Freshers’ Fortnight off on Thursday the 3rd with our trademark MadeinChelseapubcrawl.Asalways, our beloved 1916 Dennis N-Type fire engine Jezebel was there to transport freshers from pub to pub. Some would say it was quite an expensive pub crawl, but with student loan cash spilling over in everyone’s pockets, there was hardly a problem with £4 pints for a night. The night ended at JUJU’s, a cocktail bar on King’s Street to end the night on a high. At one point, MIC stars showed up and decided to buy everyone drinks at the ba- wait, never mind, that might have been me on a different night out. Oops.

RCSU Bookshop:

On Friday morning with hangovers in full force, we set up the RCSU second hand bookshop in Sherfield Foyer. The bookshop was an excellent opportunity for students to buy second hand books from other students at a reasonable price. After a big rush in the morning the rest of the day was spent quietly behind the stand by various committee members. Rumour has it that someone started to eat their own hands in boredom.

RCSU Tea Party:

The second week of Freshers started off in a truly British manner with the RCSU Tea Party. There were various types of tea on offer which were procured from a specialised tea house. With free scones and cakes on offer it was of no surprise that there was a great anticipation amongst students. In fact, a queue built up before the start of the party and hoards of scientists piled in as soon as the doors were open. Union jacks were flying high and the tea kept flowing as people relaxed after a day of lectures. Even if they weren’t awake for lectures, the tea ensured their evening got off to a good start.

RCSU Autumn Ball:

Check out that liquid nitrogen ice cream! Damn son!

Check out that liquid nitrogen ice cream! Damn son! Credit: RCSU

Perhaps the most prized event of them all was the RCSU Autumn Ball which took place on Tuesday at Ruby Blue in Leicester Square. There were 3 free double mixers on offer alongside a scoop of nitrogen ice cream. The Ball managed to sell out a day in advance and there was great anguish amongst the people who missed out on the tickets. But for the people who managed to grab hold of one before time ran out, they were in for a treat. The nitrogen ice cream proved to be very successful as evident by the long queues that were forming. Some would say that the ice cream was so good, it made them completely forget about the hardships of grinding a degree out of Imperial. Priced competitively at £12, the ball was organized to ensure it doesn’t cut a deep hole in people’s pockets. Student drink prices were in full flow to ensure that even the hard boozers were kept satisfied. It was a perfect night for the awkward one night stands during freshers to turn into a full blown romance. Near the end, Black Eyed Peas showed up and started singing. Maybe.

“Iʼve had the time of my life And Iʼve never felt this way before And I swear this is true And I owe it all to RCSU”.

Family Bar Night:

In RCSU, it’s all about community and to ensure the sense of community is fully integrated amongst the incoming freshers, a family bar night was held at the Union Bar on Thursday the 10th. With free drinks on offer for people in their families, some hardcore family bonding was definitely on the cards.

It is definitely a great start to the year for us and it’s bound to get better.