What: Paper Exhibition

Where: Saatchi Gallery

When: Until 3rd Nov 2013

Price: FREE

If your most recent memory of Charles Saatchi is seeing the photographs of him in the Daily Mail allegedly strangling his ex-wife Nigella then you are definitely missing out. Despite his unfortunate relationship issues, the Iraqi born advertising mogul and art collector has an ideally located gallery that definitely warrants a wonder. Best known for his eccentric and somewhat controversial taste in art, Saatchi’s current exhibition ‘Paper’ may seem a little backward in nature, but in a world of ever advancing technology and digitalisation it is refreshing to see such a basic material used in such diverse array.

Known by many as a shy and reclusive man, Saatchi has the power to make or break a contemporary artist’s career. He helped discover the likes of Damien Hirst and Jeff Koons as well as giving considerable support to Tracey Emin, all of whom have had massive success in the contemporary art scene.

He is a man who knows what he likes and this is made apparent in his exhibition that includes the works of 43 artists spanning 10 galleries. Highlights from the exhibition include Eric Manigaud’s Portrait Clinique (graphite on paper) – a collection of life-size drawings documenting photographs taken in a medical facility in Weilmünster, Germany. They poignantly depict physically and mentally ill Jewish patients who were starved or sterilised under the Nazi regime. Although harrowing in nature, Manigaud’s exceptional skill brings the drawings to life helping to provide an insight into this terrifying world. Another memorable piece is Marcelo Jácome’s Planos-Pipas #17, literally meaning ‘Kite-Planes’ in the Artist’s native Portuguese. Taking up an entire room, it seemed to spread weightlessly across the space whilst most certainly shouting “look at me”. A bright and colourful piece, constructed from bamboo triangles and tissue paper, it was structured yet chaotic and definitely drew the most attention from visitors. Worth a mention, solely for the fact that you cannot walk around the exhibition without noticing it, is Lerma and Madera’s Bust of Emanuel Augustus, a giant sculpture made of scrunched, coloured paper. “Eye- catching” to say the least, but at over 8 foot high how could it not be? It could be a little uninteresting at times, but all in all this exhibition deserves merit for the fact that such simple materials were manipulated to create such inspiring pieces. The gallery is ideally located on the King’s Road, Chelsea, just a 20 minute walk from the South Kensington campus, and its large, bright and airy rooms provide an ideal escape from the frenzy that is London. Some may find it a little pretentious, but whether you are an art fan or just want something to do to occupy a lunch break, head down to SW3 for an interesting afternoon out.