There is uncertainty about the future of halls of residence, Wilson House, this week as it is scrutinized for feasibility. Due in the coming weeks, the report of an on-going feasibility study will help determine if and when Wilson House will be closed for refurbishment, potentially during the next academic year (2012-2013).

A College spokesperson commented that the feasibility study was commissioned by the College Portfolio Review Board to look at “the possibility of refurbishing Wilson House to improve facilities and the use of space, which will increase the number of bed spaces and improve the current ratio of kitchens and bathrooms to bedspaces.” According to the College spokesperson, the timeline for the refurbishment will be finalised pending the results of the feasibility study. Some students, particularly current and previous inhabitants of Wilson House, have stated their belief that the hall is in dire need of refurbishment, with particular mention to the kitchens, bathrooms and common room, alongside motions to solve central heating break downs in winter and overheating in summer. Students have also concurred regarding the ratio of kitchens to bedspaces issue, claiming a lack of fridge and freezer space per student and a number of broken ovens.

However, refurbishment could potentially cause disruption to students. Among the options that have been considered in the case of temporary closure, it has been suggested that students could be rehoused in the Elephant & Castle or Waterloo area, with representatives from Imperial College Union having a visit to view accommodation in the area scheduled. The College spokesperson stated in response to the possibility of a move, “In the event that Wilson House is closed for a period of refurbishment the College will need to find an additional 270 bedspaces to temporarily replace the Wilson House rooms and is looking for other suitable accommodation options to serve this purpose.” Wilson House’s warden, Dr Michael Bluck comments, “Should closure of Wilson be required (whenever that may be), other halls would likely be needed temporarily, in order to meet the guarantee we make to 1st year undergraduates. In addition to the Wilson issue, there are other demands arising indirectly from the closure of Clayponds. In either case, appropriate replacement capacity would need to be found and the College is looking at a number of options.”

The possible plans to temporarily close Wilson House, one of Imperial College’s notoriously affordable halls (with fees currently from £104.08 per week for a single room), while works are carried out, come following a series of high-profile moves relating to Imperial College accommodation provision involving halls such as Griffon Studios (with fees from £235 per week for a single studio), Fisher Hall, and Clayponds Village.

Considering the genuine need for refurbishment, one could speculate that the Wilson refurbishments are likely to take place, at the very least causing students to be temporarily displaced to alternative accommodation.