Police have been deployed in towns across Senegal, and are reported to have killed two people in the northern town of Podor, as protests intensify. Rallies have been organised after President Abdoulaye Wade declared his intention to stand for a third term.

Senegal has long been seen as a relatively successful democracy by African standards.

Mr Wade first came to power in 2000, breaking over fourty years of Socialist rule in the West African country. He had generally been seen as a popular and effective president. In 2001, under his rule, a new constitution was adopted limiting presidential terms to a maximum of two spanning five years each from the previous seven year terms.

However, more recently, views of him have soured. He changed the constitution back so he can stand for a third term, which would be seven years long. Increased control on freedom of the press has been introduced and three opposition candidates (including a popular musician) have been barred from standing.

Further to this, Wade has also been accused of corruption, despotism and wasting public money in the impoverished nation on vanity projects.

There seems to be a growing risk that Wade could turn Senegal into another story of failed democracy in Africa. However, with his unpopularity with the church and growing anger among the people, protests could well bring down the president before the election on February 26.