Wednesday 4th December brought the Ladies 1st Lacrosse team a brilliant win following a 16-4 score finish against the University of Reading.

Braving sub-zero degree weather, the ladies first lacrosse team trekked to Reading for their final match of the term. The bright sunshine was deceptive: it did nothing but produce glare on the pitch. Layering and sunglasses were key in equal measure.

The match kicked off with fresher Lexi Wisentaner in centre. Her first draw went straight to teammate Oli Morley, who ran it down the pitch towards the Reading goal. In rapid succession, the first three goals were scored by Liv Sinclair, Captain Lizzie Allen and Oli Morley, with shots on goal by Cat Hedley and Lexi. Very soon though it was the turn of Imperial’s defensive side to be put to the test and by the end of the quarter Reading had equalised: the score standing at 3-3.

For the 2nd quarter, Imperial tightened up its defence. Players Abi Murugesh-Warren and Bex Singh double-teamed their Reading player to regain possession of the ball. Lexi transported the ball down the pitch, barging past many a defender, and after some settle play around the fan, Imo Simmonds scored goal number four. Hannah Brooks and Lydia Uden doubled dangerous number 10, releasing the ball for Rachel Castola to recover and pass to goalie Gaby Prager for the clear. Bex took the ball up the wing and by half-time, a further two goals by Oli Morley had brought the score up to 6-3.

Huddling close in half-time the Imperial side reviewed their situation. Defence had not conceded a goal in the previous quarter, and the double-team technique was deemed effective. On the attacking side, in addition to six successful goals, several failed shots on goal had been made. Captain Lizzie Allen stressed the importance of making decisive cuts through the fan, and that the final pass before shooting be safe and easily converted.

Seconds after the whistle had been blown in the third quarter, Imo Simmonds scored her second goal of the match. Shortly after however, Reading gained and held possession, working the fan around goalkeeper Gaby Prager. Our goalkeeper and defenders withstood the pressure, and when the ball finally turned back over to Imperial, Abi Murugesh-Warren rapidly took the 8th goal. Moments later, some impressive team-play gave Imperial the edge: Imo took the ball behind the Reading goal, Lydia Uden made a cut in front, and scored off a quick-sticks pass. Clearly under pressure, the Reading side made a foul stick swipe to Imo’s head. Knees bent and eyes focused on the goal, Imo took the free ball at the head of the fan. The ball hit its mark in the back of the net and a whistle promptly signalled the quarter.

Fourth and final quarter and Imperial acknowledged that Reading were feeling the pressure. Stick checks were becoming dodgy, but our policy was to keep our play clean. Defender Shosh Krasner-Macleod in regaining ball possession took a swipe to the face, but undeterred, she played on, leading to Abi scoring goals 14 and 15. Playing up from the Imperial lacrosse 2’s, Hannah Tullett stuck close to her Reading player and again, no goals were conceded during this final quarter. Imo scored three goals and Oli one in the last quarter, producing an impressive final score of 16-4.

Wednesday was not the first time Imperial had met Reading, and it was admitted that their side had improved immensely. It took an equalised first quarter to prompt the Imperial side to really up their game and make use of some stunning tactics. This result in the final match of term was a testament to the hard work of Captain Lizzie Allen and Vice Imo Simmonds, and the invaluable team work the Imperial ladies have used to take them up to second place in the league. The team look ahead to next term, to continue and expand upon their efforts, and where a hoped-for victory against Royal Holloway will take them to the top.

Man-of-the-match, awarded both by Reading and Imperial, went to Imo Simmonds. Dick-of-the-day was also awarded to the Vice Captain, when itwas noted in a moment of heated match play that she had managed to hit herself in the head with her own stick. Three shots later, it is needless to say that she was a fair bit woozy on that long minibus ride home…