1.) The Sound of Music

Julie Andrews plays a nun turned governess for a bunch of super cute Austrian children and their super hot father (Christopher Plummer – just me?) Set against the backdrop of WW2, this charming family oriented film always gets me in the mood for the holidays.

2.) Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

The first in the franchise, revisit a time when the wizarding trio were young and cute. Harry faces the evil Voldemort for the first time, but the film is not as dark as the later films. Plus there’s snow so it’s vaguely festive.

3.) Bridget Jones’ Diary & Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Christmas just isn’t Christmas without dear old Bridget. Renee Zellweger plays the hapless chain-smoking diarist perfectly; becoming the instant poster child for singletons everywhere. Hugh Grant, Colin Firth and Spanx make this a holiday must.

4.) Happy Feet

This computer animated Academy Award winning musical film is visually incredible and features wintery scenery and adorable penguins. Penguins are supposed to sing to attract a mate, but Mumble has a terrible voice. His talent lies in tap dancing. A beautiful and touching film.

5.) Hook

This reworking of the classic Peter Pan story is great family viewing, Robin Williams plays the grown up Pan brilliantly, and Dustin Hoffman is hilarious as the title villain. The themes of family and the importance of being young at heart are explored, and the ending is lovely.

6.) Santa Claus

I was trying to keep overtly Christmassy films for later in December, but today is St Nicholas’, a day for the Germans and Dutch to get into the festive spirit. Regardless of your nationality, enjoy this straightforward film full of reindeer, mischievous elves and plenty of Christmas cheer.

7.) Moulin Rouge

Baz Luhrmann’s masterpiece is one of my favourite films ever, and whilst not festive (except for its colour palette), has some amazing medleys and reworkings of classic songs. The direction is great: stylish, fantastical and theatrical – and Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor shine in the leading roles.

8.) Fantasia

For those who have been paying attention, I hate this film, but the decision about whether or not to include it was vetoed by my co-Editors. These early Disney animations set to various works of classical music are widely thought to be charming and kitschy, and are a favourite for this time of year.

9.) Edward Scissorhands

Set at Christmas-time, Johnny Depp plays an artificIal man with scissors for hands. Uncommonly gentle, he has pity taken on him by a family, and falls in love with their eldest daughter Kim (Winona Ryder). Tragedy ensues, but the film remains heartwarming and magical.

10.) The Holiday

Stuffed fuller than a turkey with national stereotypes, this rom-com set over Christmas and New Year is essential viewing. When Winslet and Diaz get bored of their LA /Cotswolds lives respectively, they house-swap for the holiday season. Funny and feel-good.

11.) Polar Express

The hugely successful computer animation tells the story of a young boy aboard a powerful magical train on a journey to the North Pole to see Santa. This is a film about self discovery and faith. This is a visually stunning film, with voiceovers by Tom Hanks.

12.) Elf

Will Ferell stars as Buddy, a human brought up with the Elves at the North Pole travels to New York to meet his heartless birth father Walter. This is a goofy comedy with some touching themes. It is inevitably clichéd, but that’s probably what you want in a light holiday film.

13.) Lady and the Tramp

The list was looking a little Disney light, and this is about as Christmassy as Disney gets without being terrible. Adorable Lady falls in love with stray dog Tramp over a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. Ridiculously cute.

14.) The Muppets Christmas Carol

The retelling of the classic Dickens tale, with the beloved Muppets cast. I was actually quite scared of this as a child. Scrooge, the ultimate grumpy old man, is taken on a trip in time by the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future in a bid to change his mean ways.

15.) Miracle on 34th Street

An old man claiming to be Santa is institutionalised as insane, but a young lawyer decides to prove in court that he is the real deal. This is a warmhearted classic about the real meaning of Christmas, and a step away from commercialism.

16.) Home Alone I and II

Probably my favourite holiday films. Culkin plays Kevin, a super cute kid accidently and continuously left home alone. Burglars try to break into the home, but he fights them off like a ninja. Hilariously funny.

17.) Nativity!

This is British comedy based around a primary school nativity play. Largely improvised and low budget, this film is warm, jolly and non-commercial, and the child actors are brilliant. Plus there are some really catchy songs!

18.) The Grinch

Everyone knows one, but Jim Carrey does it best in this fantasy film based on the famous Dr Suess book. The inhabitants of Whoville are victims of the Grinch’s Christmas stealing ways, but it takes the love of one small child to remind everyone what the season is really about.

19.) Love Actually

Several love stories are interwoven in this hugely popular rom-com. Love Actually has a kick-ass cast, including Bill Nighy, Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant and Martine McCutcheon, a great soundtrack and happy-endings all round.

20.) Father Christmas

This little known Raymond Briggs film is chronically underappreciated. This charming animation documents what Santa does with the parts of the year not spent gearing up for Christmas, and has some overlap with the more widely known The Snowman.

21.) The National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

Another favourite of mine. Riotously funny, this slapstick comedy encompasses everything wonderful about the season: family arguments, mishaps, cooking disasters, but most importantly, community and good humour.

22.) White Christmas

Bing Crosby and his fellow soldier and partner in a successful song and dance duo fall in love with a sister act, and team up to help the duo’s ex-Army General save the failing Vermont Inn from closure. Plenty of comedy and some great musical numbers make this a perfect Christmas film.

23.) The Snowman

Another Raymond Briggs animation, this is a classic film that should be in everyone’s essential viewing list. If this film doesn’t pull at the heartstrings, then your heart must be made of ice too. A young boy makes a snowman, who takes him on a magical journey.

24.) Nightmare Before Christmas

Tim Burton’s stop-motion musical horror film is a credible alternative to all the festive schmaltz before the big day arrives. The ing of Halloweentown discovers Christmastown, and tries to usurp Santa.

25.) It’s a Wonderful Life

This is widely thought of as the most essential Christmas film ever made, and it isn’t hard to see why. A frustrated businessman is visited by an angel, who shows him what life would be like if he had never been born. He sees that the people he loves would have been miserable or dead, and realises that his life has had a positive influence on the world. Not only a great Christmas film, but a great film in general, reminding the viewer that life is wonderful. Happy Christmas Everyone!