Two weeks ago Terry Callier’s name was added to the ever increasing list of great soul artists who are no longer with us. Callier, born in 1940’s Chicago released his first record in 1968 to little commercial success. This was followed, in the first half of the 70’s, with two more albums, including the brilliant What Colour is Love. Again, despite being critically acclaimed, little commercial success followed. While Callier toured with the likes of Gil Scott-Heron and Jerry Butler he struggled to join them at the top of billboards. Two releases later and into the early 1980’s Callier retired from music to concentrate on bringing up his daughter.

So far, so unremarkable. Yet in the late 1980’s a little-known release from Terry Callier started lighting up dance floors over this side of the pond. Eddie Piller, owner of Acid Jazz Records (alongside Gilles Peterson), contacted Callier asking to put out this particular record; it was agreed and within two years Callier was using vacations from his job as an administrator at the University of Chicago to play gigs and festivals here in England. Callier started recording again, all be it reluctantly, and touring more.

In 1998 his album Timepeace received an award from the United Nations; instead of this bringing him fame it meant his employers at the University found out about his double life, and promptly fired him. That Terry Callier never received the wide acclaim during his recording career that he deserved is a travesty, yet he was always relaxed about what came his way. Music was just one of his interests, family being his first. On being asked about hitting the big time he responded “If I broke as big as the Beatles tomorrow, it still wouldn’t mean much because my mom’s not here”.

Have a listen to these gems by the legend, Terry Callier: