Everything Everything at the Village Underground in Shoreditch was certainly a hot ticket; the show had sold out well in advance and obscene amounts of money were being exchanged online to gain entry. As people crammed intothe relatively small venue the anticipation for hearing Everything Everything’s new album was tangible after the huge success which their debut album proved to be. This was the week in which the band got their first top forty hit in ‘Cough Cough’ which rocketed in at number thirty seven. All this proves to me is that the singles charts are fucked beyond saving but apparently it was a reason for celebration, and what better way to celebrate then playing a knock out show in East London.

The support band Post War Years at first reminded me of a sub-par Delphic, who themselves are a diet version of New Order so I was not expecting anything to blow me away. I was left pleasantly surprised by their electro-schtick and soaringtunes but I cannot decide whether my low expectations were the decisive factor.

Opening with ‘Suffragette Suffragette’ Everything Everything showed their intent straight from the start to brighten up the bitterly cold night for everyone in the majestically cool venue. Half of the set consisted of new tracks interspersed between old favourites and it was clear to see that the band enjoyed the chance to play fresh songs. The exhaustive touring of their last album had certainly taken its toll but this was a band revitalised and refocused. Some of the most notable new tracks which are going to make people lose their shit are ‘Kemosabe’ and ‘Torso of the Week’.

Everything Everything are the sort of band that your stereotypical Imperial student should love. Their indie hits creep towards the angular math-rock side of the spectrum, they used to do all their shows in orange jumpsuits to continue some sort of in-joke, and their songs include some hilariously nerdy lyrics. Highlights include “Isambard, I am all steel”, “I’m as giddy as a baby in a centrifuge” and my personal favourite “You said ‘Boy Lets Fuck the Ozone’ but boy that hole is too wide”. Genius!

The set came to a frenetic ending with ‘Cough Cough’, ’Two for Nero’ and ‘Photoshop Handsome’ frothing up the crowd into a fanciful lather. Everything Everything have definitely matured and their upcoming album, set to be released in January of next year, is looking like it won’t disappoint. Their new sound is slightly more expansive but keeps the lyrical edge and the rush you experience when you hear the saccharine choruses. Will 2013 belong to Everything Everything just as this year has belonged to the Vaccines? They managed to charm the pants off of East London tonight without breaking into a canter so I wouldn’t bet against them.