Imperial College Equestrian 1st team had a great start to the season at Royal Holloway’s home competition at Wayside stables near Windsor. Despite the torrential rain and howling winds the team prevailed and won, with individuals placed 1st (Captain Rachel Gregory), 2nd (Liane Marshallsay), 5th (Andre Wilmes) and 8th (Claudia Saksida). The team started well with Liane and Rachel winning on their horses scoring 0 penalties in the dressage, despite Rachel’s horse spooking half way through her test, and Claudia and Andre both did very well achieving 9 and 15 penalties respectively. At lunchtime the team was lying in first position but only 3 penalties ahead of the University of Kent. As the team were about to show jump, the heavens opened the wind picked up so several of the show jumps fell down. After an extremely long wait Rachel was the first rider of the imperial team and jumped a clear round. Claudia was the second to go on her horse and was a little nervous after the first rider on her horse fell off but she completed her round with one refusal. Andre was third on his horse and jumped a masterful clear round and finally Liane also jumped a stylish clear round. We had an extremely long and anxious wait while the Royal Holloway captain calculated the incredibly confusing scores. Both Rachel and Andre had won on their jumping horses scoring 0 penalties while Liane and Claudia scored 6 and 15 respectively, leaving the team in first place.

Riding’s next event is our home competition on Wednesday 5th December at Trent Park.