Last Sunday morning, our four Imperial teams arrived in a sunny but cold Luton, ready to once again dominate the Luton Marathon Relays. Simply put, each relay team consists of three people, each running a third of a marathon.

Accompanying us also were three ‘Old Boys (and girls)’ teams made up of recently graduated club members. The Old Boys got off to a blistering start with (current club member but closet Old Boy) Sam O’Neill running what would be the fastest lap of the day, but a great run from Milan Misak kept IC1 in the running keeping us in 3rd after the one lap. This was tainted somewhat during the changeover, however, when he took down an awaiting Phil McCorquodale, who scrambled from the ground to chase down the Old Boys lead.

Meanwhile, IC2 were in the top 20, IC Women top 30 and IC3 top 40. 45 minutes later, the final stage runners were lining up, and first to victoriously round the corner was IC1’s Phil (still bleeding from his rough start) who had had a brilliant run to pass two teams and put IC1 in first! He handed over to Sam O’Neill (Running his second leg, now for Imperial!) with a 10 minute lead over 2nd place!

Alwyn Elliott passed over IC2 over to new member Steve Leak who had a great run advancing from 19th to 8th. A combined effort from fresher Will Jones and postgrad Jack Shotton had put IC3 into 24th position for the final leg. After good runs from Josie Bowler and Vicki Solly, IC Women were also 3rd out of the all women teams and 37th overall.

With such a lead, Sam brought the first team home victorious without much difficulty. Matt Douthwaite gained a further 3 places to put IC2 in 5th. IC3 jumped up to 15th and Eileen Brandley finished a competitive last leg with IC Women in 35th (4th out of the Ladies). Overall, everyone did great on a deceptively hilly course.

Delays in confirming the results meant we couldn’t stay for the awards ceremony (it must have been very empty!), but we made up for it with homemade cake (thanks Will!) and a pub lunch in Luton. Also a big thanks to Al for driving us home through the horrendous streets of London. A very successful trip for Imperial!