Last week at Imperial saw the celebration of the College’s first ever International Week with a great myriad of activities taking place. The Week was set up to promote the cultural diversity present at our university in the hope that all students and cultures are represented and encouraged to express themselves equally.

International Week saw students celebrate their cultural traditions whilst trying to raise funds for International Night, with students taking part in events including traditional dances, sharing food and playing sports – making the week a resounding success and laying the foundations well for International Night (Inight) next term (9 February 2012).

International Night is a celebration of cultural diversity within the College. With events based around topics varying from belly dancing to traditional oriental shows, aiming to promote multiculturalism within the College and encouraging the international community to come together and celebrate their countries traditions with any profits being passed to charity.

Below, we hear from 2 committee members and 2 societies describing some of the events during the week.

The Queen’s Tower event

“This year we wanted to do something special to mark the International Week at Imperial and also something that would help us to raise the profile of the Overseas committee that represents all of the international societies at the college. We also hoped to raise funds for Inight that will take place on the 9th Feburary 2013. What better way, we thought, than opening the Queen’s Tower to visitors!! Going up to the top to enjoy the view and surprisingly, the good weather, did not disappoint! For those that missed out, the OSC hopes to open up the tower again in February.

A big thank you to all of the OSC Executive committee who made it possible together with the college itself!” – Wasim Khouri, OSC Chair.

Cyprus Hospitality Night

“As part of the first International Week at Imperial, the Imperial College Cypriot Society organized a special event for everyone at Imperial to get to know more about Cyprus, its hospitable people and also the amazing Cypriot cuisine, defined by a splendid mixture of Mediterranean and Middle-Eastern food. Theevent, named ‘Cyprus Hospitality Night’ was an excellent opportunity for people to taste the local starters of “pitta” bread with “taramosalata”(made from smoked cods roe), “houmous” and “lountza” (delicious smoked and marinated loin of pork). Of course, the famous Cypriot cheese, “halloumi”, couldn’t be missed from the event and it was actually served grilled which made it even tastier! Moreover, attendees had the chance to try some of the island’s finest traditional deserts such as ‘Cyprus delights’ or Cypriot “loukoumia”, “soutzioukos” (made of grape must, nuts and flour) and the semolina variety of “halvas”. The event turned out to be very successful and all the food and deserts were consumed very quickly, leaving everybody amazed by the Cypriot flavours! Finally, everyone left satisfied by the friendliness of Cypriot people and enjoyed the Cypriot hospitality. “ – Ioannis Kourouklides, Cypriot society. (See Food, page 44)

Hellenic Society traditional cuisine day

“The Hellenic Society gave Imperial College a small taste of its cuisine. On Thursday afternoon, the Society’s stand in front of the Sheffield Building and the Queen’s Tower Rooms offered a treat to anyone who passed by. Greek salad on-a-stick with tomato, cucumber and “feta”, cheese pie snacks (“tyropitakia”) and traditional “dolmadakia” were just a few of the delicacies freely offered by the Greeks of the College as part of the International Week. Of course, the menu contained traditional Greek dessert as well! So, after having some of the food provided, you could taste a nice little sweet called Greek “loukoumi” or the traditional Christmas sweets of “melomakarono” or “kourabies”, both devoured en masse during the Christmas period!

The event lasted for two hours, during the lunch break that is, and was enjoyed by a very large number of Imperial students as well as members of staff. The food was also accompanied by modern Greek popular music that resulted in a feast of Greek dancing!” – Michael Dinalexi, Hellenic society

The OSC World cup

“Saturday the 17th November saw the 4th Annual OSC World Cup tournament take place at Imperial College with over 100 players representing 16 countries, fighting it out to get their name on the famous OSC World cup and create a legacy at the College.

Imperial’s largest international sports event is a chance for students from different cultures within the university to come together and play for their countries in what is many students’ last chance to fulfill their dream of playing in a World Cup final. The day did not disappoint.

Exciting group stages and 1 round of knock out saw Spain, Iraq, Arab soc and Nigeria make the semi finals.

After two incredible, tight games in which any team could have prospered, Iraq and Arabic society won through to a final that was to see an exciting repeat meeting of the societies from game one of the tournament and a repeat of the final 4 years ago.

A fierce battle ensued seeing Arabic society dominate for periods but the strength of Iraq was just too much in the end and they fought through to lift the OSC world cup once again. Their prize sees them win £70 to enable them to fund future society events together with the much coveted OSC World Cup. The Iraqi flag will be flown at the university to represent their great feat in claiming the cup for the second time in its 4-year history.

Overall, the day was a resounding success and helps continue the hard work of the Oversees Societies Executive Committee and all of its committed members who strive to promote cultural diversity within the College. We continue to work for this cause and greatly thank all those, particularly Sport Imperial, who join us in this cause and without who’s generosity the event could not have taken place.

A big congratulations to the Iraqi Society!! Mabrouk Iraq!!” – Alexander McFarquhar, OSC Sports Officer.

International Week was colourful, with flags of many countries flying around the College, and very successful allowing all student to come together to celebrate the activities that make their countries special.

For all of you who didn’t get the chance to see or discover anything about a new culture during international week, fear not. Spanish society will add to their activities in International Week with Ice Skating at the Natural History Museum on Monday the 26th November starting at 6.30pm at the Union Bar. (Tickets: £6.50 for members and £8.50 for non-members. All welcome!!!)

International Week was a true representation of the diversity at Imperial and its success shows the strength of our multicultural community within our college. The success will be followed by a second International Week in February building toward Inight which promises to be a truly fantastic explosion of cultural ideas, foods and traditions from all around the world right on your doorstep at Imperial. Roll on February!!