Following a good performance but bad result against Kingston 2s in their first BUCS MARS South Eastern 5C league match, Imperial Men’s football 2nd team hosted St Mary’s men’s football 5th team at Fortress Harlington on Wed 24th, looking to pick up their first points of the season. Due to a host of injuries and absentees, Imperial were forced to make several changes to their starting line-up. Consequently Pete Nugent, Andy Smith, Bilal Nasim, Luke Butler and Kume Feese replaced Dom Affron, Bilal Abou Ela Bourquin, Dan Moxham, Alex Dale and Josh March.

Imperial started brightly, with Kume Feese earning a penalty after being ruthlessly taken down in the penalty area. Kume confidently stepped up, only to hit one of the worst penalties in footballing history, passing the ball down the centre of the goal to the delight of the St Mary’s keeper. A cagey 15 minute

Due to a host of injuries and absentees, Imperial were forced to make several changes to their starting line-up

period followed, with both teams exchanging blows. Imperial looked assured at the back marshalled by club captain Sami Dabbagh, and Bilal Nasim asserted his authority in the centre of midfield. Imperial finally broke the deadlock when a wicked cross from Sam Thomas was inadvertently headed into his own goal by the St Mary’s left back. Imperial continued to press and a move that started from the left with Sam Thomas and Luke Butler was swiftly manoeuvred to the right, followed by a neat interplay between Alex Hassan and Bilal Nasim giving Bilal the opportunity to thread a through ball to Kume, who made amends for the earlier penalty by burying the ball low across the keeper into the bottom corner. Immediately after, Jon Mitchell nearly scored one of the finest goals of the season with a run past 3 St Mary’s defenders down the left wing, before cutting inside and shooting just wide of the far post. Half time, 2-0.

The emphasis from captain Will Wright at half time was to keep composed in the final third and the goals would continue to come. This was to come true within 10 minutes of the restart, with Sam Thomas carrying the ball infield from left back, finding Kume in the box who backheeled the ball to Jon Mitchell,

Imperial finally broke the deadlock when a wicked cross from Sam Thomas was inadvertently headed into his own goal by the St Mary’s left back

leaving Jon with a difficult opportunity that he took first time, smashing low and hard into the bottom corner. Ten minutes later Imperial completed their scoring, substitute Tim Tolkmitt seeing his shot saved, allowing Kume to follow up for his second of the game. Substitute Tom Greenwood, entering with 25 minutes remaining for an impressive Luke Butler, could then have added three more goals for Imperial, his lively movement getting him into good positions but his attempts on goal being denied by the St Mary’s keeper. Overall, a very good performance and a comfortable victory. With a point to prove, Kume Feese was a constant threat and caused problems for the St Mary’s backline all game, and as a result was deservedly awarded man of the match by his teammates.SPONSOR FOOTBALL.jpg