1. Moonraker (1979)

The most embarrassing entry. Roger Moore goes to space to fight some bad guys firing tacky looking laser guns. They couldn’t even come up with a new villain, and creating a love story for Jaws was the silliest, most unnecessary move this franchise has ever made.

1. A View to a Kill (1985)

Christopher Walken makes a mean villain, but with the presence of the incredibly annoying Tanya Roberts as the main girl and a Bond who looks too old to be driving around and saving the world, Roger Moore’s last effort is also one of his weakest.

1. OHMSS (1969)

Bond gets married: now that’s something that should never have happened, and despite the ambitious skiing action scenes, it’s a long, challenging watch, with the charisma-free George Lazenby taking on the role, never to come back again after this. Good riddance.

1. Diamonds are Forever (1971)

Connery really should have quit before this one, and perhaps to accommodate his ageing, the film takes on a never-before-seen campy tone that doesn’t settle well. The less that is said about the awful “Bambi and Thumper” duo, the better.

1. Quantum of Solace (2008)

Over-stuffed, confused and failing at every attempt to live up to its direct predecessor Casino Royale, Daniel Craig’s second outing as James Bond is as chaotic as its theme song, performed for the first time as a duet by Alicia Keys and Jack White.

1. The Living Daylights (1987)

Timothy Dalton’s first stab at a Bond film doesn’t work out too well. While a huge step up from A View to a Kill, Dalton’s attempt to turn the series around into something gritter never quite succeeds due to an agonisingly weak set of villains.

1. Octopussy (1983)

Octopussy’s (the sultry Maud Adams) circus girls are occasionally useful, the mysterious “Faberge Egg” is pretty to look at, but dressing up Roger Moore as a clown and yes, a gorilla, is taking things a little too far, even for the lighter, more comic Moore to handle.

1. The World is Not Enough (1999)

Now this is a tricky one: the villains are excellent: Robert Carlyle as the man who cannot feel, and Sophie Marceau as the seductive femme fatale. But the Bond Girl, Denise Richards, is one of, if not, the worst that has ever been paired up with 007.

1. Die Another Day (2002)

Silly in its plot and execution, Brosnan’s goes to North Korea, piling up one ridiculous idea after another (an invisible car makes an appearance). Halle Berry’s savvy Jinx as well as Rosamund Pike’s icy Miranda Frost are great additions to the cast.

1. For Your Eyes Only (1981)

Without a doubt boasts the best theme song, but the film itself is distinctly average, although the crossbow-wielding Bond Girl (Carole Bouquet) who does something useful other than shag the womanising spy is a highlight.

1. For Your Eyes Only (1981)

1. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

Will forever be remembered as the film that gave us Jaws, a hugely entertaining villain of epic size who could have easily ripped Moore into tiny little pieces. Plus Bond meets his match in the deadly Anya Amasova, the titular “spy.”

1. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)

The Golden Gun is by far the coolest, most memorable gadget to come out of the Bond series – a gun so stylishly disguised as a cigarette holder, lighter, and pen, all painted in gold. Bond getting owned by a villain one-third his size is also a great watch.

1. Goldeneye (1995)

Pierce Brosnan’s Bond debut got off to a flying start thanks to his effortless charm and sly humour. This is also notable for having a female character who seems to love rough sex more than Bond himself: the infamous Xenia Onatopp (the hilarious Famke Janssen).

1. Thunderball (1965)

Set in the crystal clear blue waters of the Bahamas, this is possibly the best-looking Bond film out there, both in terms of the magnificent scenery and the many, many women Bond gets surrounded with. This is also famous for its epic underwater fighting sequence.

1. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)

It’s incredibly rare to see a Bond Girl fend for herself but Chinese spy Wai Lin (Michelle Yeoh) is a highly skilled martial artist. And Teri Hatcher has a heck of a good slap, marking a thoroughly deserving palm print on the side of Brosnan’s face.

1. From Russia with Love (1963)

Connery’s famous fight in the train compartment is hailed as being one of the most believable yet exciting action scenes ever filmed for the screen. His second crack is almost as impressive and game-changing as his first, and further solidified his status.

1. Live and Let Die (1973)

The exotic location works as a massive plus here, adding all sorts of mystery and intrigue to a rather repetitive and predictable set of ideas. The radiant Jane Seymour, in one of her early film roles, dazzles as the Bond Girl, with Yaphet Kotto playing one creepy villain.

1. You Only Live Twice (1967)

The scale, for its time of release, was as large as it was ever going to get, and very few people saw the “fake volcano” villain lair coming. The extended final ninja assault, is one extraordinary achievement that will always be considered as a major Bond highlight.

1. Dr. No (1962)

Here is what kicked everything off to eventually become one of the world’s most successful film franchises. Sean Connery set the mood and style of films to come, and who can forget the iconic moment when the shell-collecting Ursula Andress appears?

1. Casino Royale (2006)

No-one thought Daniel Craig could pull this off, and he faced a lot of unfair backlash for being the first Bond actor to be blonde (really). But opening with the best chase sequence in 007’s history (and to be honest, most films can’t come close to what’s achieved in the first 20 minutes of this), he proved everyone wrong with the macho brutality he brought to the role. He also properly falls in love here, something that doesn’t end entirely well.

1. Goldfinger (1964)

“No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!” remains to be the most unforgettable line uttered so brilliantly by a Bond villain, handling a rather menacing looking laser, aiming for Bond’s favourite body part. Not only does this have the most hysterical double entendre used as its Bond Girl’s name (Pussy Galore), the wordless henchman, Oddjob, throwing around his deadly bowler hat with a sly grin on his face, is the most popular villain of the series.