The Battle of Ideas is a weekend long festival of talks and debates hosted by the Institute of Ideas, an independent think tank. On the 20th and 21st of October, 350 speakers and 2000+ attendees are expected to gather at the Barbican centre for 80 talks and debates on some of the most pressing contemporary issues in politics, culture and science. The battles are an opportunity, says the Institute, to be fearless in the face of controversy and to explore the intellectual legacy of our generation, summed up by their punchy tag-line: FREE SPEECH ALLOWED.

The Science and Ethics strand of talks, entitled ‘Ethical Battles in Science and Medicine’ promises to be particularly exciting; speakers include Sir Professor Mark Walport, director of the Wellcome Trust and future Government Chief Scientific Adviser, and the award winning science fiction writer Ken Macleod. This strand of talks will aim to dissect the ethical questions surrounding emerging sciences; biotechnology, and embryology for example. It will look at if and how science should inform policy on a wide range of areas from climate change to organ donation, and the ways in which it could reshape our cultural attitudes regarding issues such as homosexuality and abortion. The attitudes of the public and the influence of the media will be examined in this context, highlighting the ever-pressing issue of good and bad practice in science communication. Student discounts are available; for more information visit. http://www.battleofideas.org.uk/