Last Tuesday, the Royal College of Science Union (RCSU) held its annual Spring Ball in aid of Raising and Giving (RAG).

The evening – attracting two hundred and fifty ticket sales – will have raised somewhere in the region of £450 for RAG, the charity-raising Management Group of the Central Union, when combined with the profits from the RCSU Autumn Ball. These funds will then be split between the charities the Union decides to support this year.

Held at Embargo, King’s Road, the venue was in a geographically unusual location for the RCSU – who normally book clubs in Central London. The reasoning behind the choice of this venue was to try and make the event more accessible for older students, many of whom live in neighbouring Fulham and Earls Court – whilst still only being a thirty minute walk (or stumble) back to halls for many Freshers.

An unexpected visitor for the evening – Freddie Flintoff, England Cricket Captain – was allowed into the venue, and mingled with the crowd for some time, causing a stir, before taking a table away from the dance floor with a few friends.

As one of the organisers of the event, I can confirm that the RCSU was extremely pleased with the evening. The time of year – just after January exams – and lack of monetary incentive to buy early (due to the event being for charity) meant that ticket sales were initially slow. This was the first event of the academic year that the RCSU didn’t sell out tickets before the night, but, due to on-the-door sales, the venue soon filled.

This event is one of a series of charity events that the Faculty Union runs throughout the year – though the only Ball. Hummingbird Charity Cakes Sales (which took place last term, and will continue this term) plus a new event for this year, the Inter-Faculty Challenge (modelled on University Challenge) will complete the Union’s planned charity agenda. The RCSU will also be participating further in RAG Chair, Jack Hewitt’s RAG week events – to be held the week commencing Monday 5 March.

The Inter-Faculty Challenge – RCSU vs. ICSMSU – is being organised for IC RAG week, on Tuesday 6 March – watch this space!