Last week I offered my thoughts on why I believe Nick Clegg’s stance on the tuition fee policy was requisite, citing the essential maintenance of government stability. This week, we have seen the Lib Dem leader chance his arm on the other side, and I think he will find out that the grass is decidedly less green. I am of course referring to his open chastising of the NHS reform plans set out by the coalition.

Don’t get me wrong, the plans are clearly fraught with problems, and need to be sent back to the drawing board. I find it very troubling that our Prime Minister has the audacity to say, in the face of enormous opposition from experts in the field, that the strategy is sound. It shows a tremendous lack of deference to bodies such as the Royal College of GPs, who have decried almost every aspect of the plans.

My own observation is that the proposed reform is simply change for change’s sake. Every time he has been confronted on the matter, Mr Cameron spends more time emphasising the need to modify the NHS than he does addressing the specifics of the proposal. His reluctance to comment on the details of the reform plans leads me to believe that he himself knows that there are huge problems that need addressing. He simply cannot muster up the courage to admit it.

With all that in mind you may quite reasonably question how I can possibly criticise Nick Clegg. I am not taking exception towards his assertion that the plans must be altered, but towards his timing. It’s been a bad week for the coalition, with calls for Ken Clarke to resign, economic warnings from Vince Cable and questions about Chris Huhne’s integrity. Taking this into account, Clegg’s remarks, which suggest further divides in the Government, are at best remarkably untimely.

Secondly, I must query his motives. It is convenient, is it not, that he stands up to Cameron so soon after his promises of “muscular Liberalism.” Why so capricious? Why did he not object to these plans at a much earlier stage? I’m sure he cares greatly about the NHS, and doesn’t want to see it go to ruin. However, his objections emit a pungent scent of self-interest, fuelled by his sudden desire to put the Lib Dems back on the political map.

Some may consider this a feasible tactic. He is, after all the leader of a party under heavy fire. Be that as it may, he must concentrate his efforts on encouraging a stable government for the good of the country. I applauded the fact that his stance on tuition fees achieved that aim. On the issue at hand, I cannot pay the same compliment. As an isolated incident, it may amount to no harm. It may in fact benefit us all if it helps steer the Tories into a U–turn over the NHS reformation plans. Nevertheless, if Mr Clegg starts to make a habit of these public displays of objection, he may find himself on an increasingly slippery slope which leads to a Government that cannot even agree with itself.

This coalition has to hold itself together for a further four years. If Nick Clegg doesn’t want to see it crumble, he needs to think seriously about where his loyalties lie.