1. There is one familiar rule which simply says that “Red with meat, white with fish”. Is it correct though? In most cases, a red wine is more suitable for a meat-based dish, simply because the tannins (particular ingredients of red wine) bind the proteins of meat, resulting in a harmonic matching. Moreover, white wine and seafood have many things in common, like their flavour ‘intensity’ and texture.

2. Do you know a rule without any exceptions? Of course not. This is also the case for the previous point, where exceptions arise because of the uniqueness of each particular recipe. For example, imagine a meal with chicken in a white sauce with mushrooms. We can combine it with a mature white wine without feeling guilty, as the flavour and texture of meat will allow for it now. Surely, though, it is a matter of taste what you will choose in these cases.

3. Wine is extremely sensitive to temperature variations. For this reason it is crucial to store our wines in a place where the temperature is as stable as possible.

4. You should never put wine in the freezer, for the reason explained in the previous point. It’s better to put it in the bin straight away.

5. Finally, our shelves should allow the horizontal placement of the bottles. The reason is simple; when the bottles are horizontal the cork is washed from the wine and remains moist and elastic, maintaining the ability to adjust well on the neck of the bottle. Therefore, the wine is protected from oxygen.