A new online calculator was launched this week by Imperial, aiming to give prospective students better access to information on the financial support available to help fund their studies.

We’ve been working … to develop a financial support package that is attractive and reassuring to prospective students.

With tuition fees rising to £9,000 per year and new financial support arrangements being introduced by the College, the calculator is designed to help prospective undergraduates considering joining in September 2012. By inputting details about their financial circumstances, prospective students and parents can receive information on the support they may be entitled to, from both Imperial and government sources.

Sir Keith O’Nions, Rector of Imperial College London, said: “Over the last year, we’ve been working closely with out Students’ Union to develop a financial support package that is attractive and reassuring to prospective students. The new web tool helps us to communicate that package alongside the other types of financial assistance available to students from government sources. It gives anyone considering undergraduate study at Imperial clear advice on what support they may be eligible for and reinforces our message that if you have the ability to manage our courses, we will help you manage our costs.”

Scott Heath, President of Imperial College Union, said: “As a student from a single-parent family I am greatly aware of the financial considerations around university application. Tools such as the finance calculator are invaluable, as they make it clear how much support prospective students could get if they come to Imperial. To anyone who is considering applying, or is just curious about the result, I recommend that they try the calculator today.”

The new financial package for 2012 will provide support on a sliding scale to a wide range of students. All those from households with an annual residual household income of up to £60,000 will be eligible. Those students in the top bracket (from households with an income of £55,001 to £60,000), will receive a £900 bursary. At the other end of the scale, a maximum amount of £6,000 will go to home undergraduate students from households with an annual residual household income of up to £25,000.

Of this £6,000, £2,500 of this will be used directly towards paying tuition fees, whilst the remaining £3,500 will be paid directly into the student’s bank account.

To anyone who is considering applying … I recommend that they try the calculator today.

The launch of the new calculator on Monday coincided with Student Finance Day, designed to explain the changes to student finance from 2012 and improve understanding of the new system.