The College Day Working Party has outlined its latest recommendations towards the structure of the day. Imperial College Union, while open to some of the recommended changes, has taken the opportunity to reinforce the importance of student input in the face of significant changes. On the other hand, the suggestions have seen strong concerns from the Department of Humanities.

Discussions by the College Day Working Group regarding the extension of the College day first came to light in January of this year, with students and staff providing a fervent response in face of the proposals, which included extending teaching hours from 8am to 7pm, reducing lunchtimes and scheduling exams for Saturdays.

The move came as a solution to timetabling congestion experienced by many departments, although no official request had been made. Department representatives did however indicate that they would make use of any timetable extensions, in spite of staff raising issues such as unfeasible commutes and childcare.

The cause for most concern was the impact the plans would have on Humanities subjects and extra curricular activities. Humanities staff criticised the plans in a letter sent to Felix, suggesting that Humanities courses would be devalued and marginalised.

The Union also expressed concerns regarding students’ ability to take part in clubs and societies, also suggesting that the longer hours will have a serious effect on the welfare of students, most of which already felt overworked.

Professor Dorothy Griffiths, chair of the Group, has always stated that the proposals were simply under consideration and that no final plans had been made.

The latest recommendations made by the College Day Working Party suggest that teaching hours should now run from 9am until 7pm. The last hour of this block would be reserved for the Humanities Programme and Wednesday afternoons would remain free.

Furthermore, Departments would have to set aside 5pm to 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays and noon to 2pm on either Monday or Friday for certain year groups for further Humanities teaching. The Working Party argues against setting aside this time for all students since ‘the majority of Departments offer Humanities in particular years’.

Recommendations for the scheduling of exams have also been laid out. While under these recommendations departments would be able to timetable three examinations each day, individual students should only have to sit at most two; except in exceptional circumstances and with the relevant Examination Board having been informed. Additionally, students should not be required “to sit an early morning examination after having taken a late afternoon examination the previous day”. Both teaching and exams could be carried out from 8am to 7pm and on weekends and Bank Holidays in “exceptional circumstances”, such as “travel disruption caused by volcanic ash”.

The Department of Humanities have outlined its own concerns, citing in a response to the recommendations that ‘If the recommendations of the College Day committee go ahead, many students will be prevented from taking a Humanities or Languages option of their choice,’ proceeding to claim that, ‘student choice and satisfaction will be seriously reduced for all’.

Imperial College Union President, Scott Heath, has taken the opportunity to re-emphasise the importance of student input on such issues relevant to the ‘student experience’.

Referencing the Union’s recent response to the National Student Survey, Heath discusses the fact that one key recommendation regarded the Union’s wish to have representation on the Strategic Education Committee (SEC), which has a key role in issues such as the College Day.

Citing the Union’s seven-year exclusion from the committee, Heath claims, “it is clear that elements within College want to keep us off SEC to ensure they have this sure-fire route to passing unpopular policy. However, by doing so they are ignoring one of the other recommendations in the NSS Response, a lesson learned from the Life Sciences Restructure last year – consult the student body when undertaking large changes.”

“The Union and the Student Body are reasonable. We are open to some changes in our timetables if they result in more opportunities and a better experience.”

Student representatives sat on the SEC until seven years ago. Jason Parmar, Deputy President (Education), has claimed that current committee members have highlighted the usefulness of having students on the committee.