Imperial’s largest ever Commemoration Day took place on Wednesday as 2,200 undergraduates received their degrees in science, engineering and medicine. The ceremonies, watched by around 6,000 friends and family members at the Royal Albert Hall, also marked the first time on stage for the new Chair of the College’s Court and Council, Eliza Manningham-Buller, who congratulated each new graduate.

The former Director-General of the Security Service, Baroness Manningham-Buller, said: “Commemoration Day is a fantastic event, as it marks the achievements of so many people at Imperial. It will be a particular pleasure for me to see the pride on the faces of the students’ family and friends, and to be involved in a day which the new graduates will remember for a long time.”

Three members of former staff also received Imperial College Medals for their longstanding contributions to the College. Mrs Susan Hartman, former Assistant Secretary to the Faculty of Medicine, was honoured for long standing support of one of the medical schools that merged with Imperial, Professor Bob Schroter for his contributions to student activities, notably the Imperial College Boat Club, as well as his academic research, and lastly, Dr Anna Thomas-Betts for her work in academic and student welfare over 45 years.

Rector’s medals were also awarded, which acknowledge excellence in teaching and pastoral care. This year’s recipients are Dr Martyn Boutelle for excellence in pastoral care; Dr Lorraine Craig and Dr Emma Watson for supporting the student experience; Professor Sandra Shefelbine and Mr Zen Makuch for outstanding contributions to teaching excellence; and Dr Jane Saffell for outstanding innovation in teaching.